Senior Hurlers v St Maur’s

A disappointing start to the league campaign for our Senior Hurlers who were defeated 1-12 v 2-19 by St Maurs. Next up in the league is a trip to Kilmacud Crokes on 8th March. Thanks to Matthew Lysaght for capturing the action. Match report by Mick McGlynn

Round Tower 1-12 v St Maurs 2-19, Adult Hurling League 3, Monastery Road, Sunday 23rd February  

Following the high of 2019, it was a humbling start to 2020 for our Senior Hurlers as they suffered a comprehensive opening day league loss to St Maurs. The opening quarter saw the visitors edge into a three point lead before fouls on Eoin Moran, Alex O’Neill and Eoin Walsh provided three opportunities from placed balls that were taken by free-taker Liam O’Connor to level matters. Alex O’Neill, whose carrying throughout consistently had the northside men on the backfoot, struck our fourth from a tight angle off the right. It left the sides tied at four apiece but Maurs registered three minus reply. Towers needed a jolt and received it in the 18th minute. Eoghan Young won possession in the middle and released Eric Finn on the half-forward line. His pacey and direct run drew defenders and he palmed to O’Connor on the left who struck to the roof of the net. But disappointingly Towers couldn’t build on the goal against a powerful visiting team. They registered a goal almost straight off when a long free deceived the Towers rearguard and found its way into the net. A long range free stretched the margin to four points and on the 22nd minute mark another decisive blow was struck, when another long-range strike edged across the Towers goal. O’Neill responded with another excellent finish just short of the right sideline, again while carrying at pace. But Maurs finished the half in supremacy, striking four points minus reply to leave the half-time margin 2-13 v 1-6.

It would have taken a considerable turnaround to tilt the balance of the game. The opening exchanges proved optimistic. In the first play Darren Gilligan seized upon a break to tee-up O’Connor to register our seventh point. Walsh also struck early and along with substitute Conán O’Broin and O’Connor he created an opening for Finn to strike our ninth. But crucially Maurs had also tagged on points in the opening stages and never looked like relinquishing their commanding advantage. The deficit was with 15 to go after O’Connor pointed following another surging run from O’Neill. Maurs were 2-18 to the good when an opening was created for Moran but his goalbound strike was deflected over. Gilligan bookended the half, finishing for a point after O’Neill yet again was instrumental in creating the opportunity.

Our Senior Hurlers will look to put the opening day disappointment behind them on 8th March when they visit Kilmacud Crokes.