Championship final awaits Junior Footballers as they beat Finbarrs

By on August 21, 2014

Round Towers 1-14 Naomh Fionnbarra 0-11


Community Centre, Semi-Final Junior C Football Championship. Match report by Niall Connaughton and view Tommy Keogh’s match pictures here



Towers went into this eagerly awaited Semi-final against an experienced Naomh Fionbarra side operating two divisions ahead of them in Division six. Towers meanwhile were unbeaten in all competitions in 2014 and sit top of Division Eight.



Finbarrs started the brighter with two unanswered points, but a Gerry Homan free opened Towers account before he was lost to a black card to be replaced by his brother Stephen. The experienced Towers full back line absorbed a lot of pressure and skilfully shut down a number of chances.

Three first half Mick Hallows points from Full Forward, and one each from Jason Mockler , Ger Hickey,Anthony Davis & Ger Homan point saw Towers go into the break at half time leading Seven points to three.



Finbarrs started the second half the brighter with again two unanswered points before Simon Owens from wing back steadied the ship with a lovely score from out of the left wing.  The returning Ger Minihan popped over a point before Mick Hallows scored a fine goal which was followed by another Owens point and a score from play by Mark Healy. Anthony Davis had the chance to put the game beyond doubt but blazed wide with the goal at his mercy before being replaced by Chris Johnson who scored a short range point. 

Finbarrs again scored three points without reply and it took a great save from Goalkeeper Darren Core to deny a goal which would have put them right back in the game. A moment of madness from the Finbarrs corner forward who was sent off for violent conduct in his ‘tackle’ of Darren Core while trying to take a free kick. Damien Murray was all over the pitch and made a huge contribution from midfield.



A couple of nervy moments ensued as Finbarrs pumped in long balls to try and conjour up goal scoring opportunities but they were ably dealt with by the Towers defence with Full back Neil Gill prominent. The game finished 1-14 to 0-11 setting up a final with Raheny in two weeks time.



Man of the match: Damien Murray