Junior Footballers must replay with Clontarf

By on April 30, 2014

Our Junior Footballers disappointingly relinquished control in their Junior C Football Championship and a seven point lead but will contest with Clontarf once again, writes Mick McGlynn. The fixture that ended in a 2-8 v 2-8 draw would have gone to extra time but the match started over half-an-hour late due to late arrival of referee, denying us an additional 20 minutes to try settle the fixture in our favour. See pictures from the match on Flickr by clicking here. 


Our boys will feel the game should not have gone down to the wire having opened up a seven point lead in the opening 12 minutes of the second-half. Towers struggled to settle into their rhythm in first half and both sides were level at the break 1-2 v 0-5. The opening ten minutes were extremely cagey with forwards struggling to impose and it was Barry Quinlan who pointed first for Towers on 12 minutes with an assist from Anthony Davis. Clontarf were two points ahead at that stage but that lead was reversed seven minutes later. Ciaran Dunne laid off a pass to Ray Davis and he played an excellent ball inside to his brother Anthony who who sidefooted beyond the advancing Clontarf keeper. The northside team responded with three points before half-time. Gerry Homan pointed for Towers before the break with a long-range free from the right after defence turned attack with a good move between Ger Hickey, Chris Johnston and Quinlan.


An incisive Stephen Homan pass allowed Anthony Davis turn and register the first score of the second-half. He followed it with a free from the 21 after a foul on Ger Homan. Our boys were now enjoying the superiority they’d failed to assert during first-half and Davis second goal put them five clear. It stemmed from Rory Dunne winning possession in the corner and Alan Milton and Hickey were involved in build-up before Anthony Davis finished to top corner. Fergus Power disrupted a short kick-out to point and he then kicked from distance after Davis found him in space from a 45. Towers were well in command, leading 2-6 v 0-5 but Clontarf responded instantly with an excellent long range strike to top corner that gave keeper Darren Core no chance. The seven point lead had become four and it was reduced to 0-2 following two un-responded points. But Anthony Davis again kicked a point after the pacey Jason Mockler cut inside and to set him up and then Gerry Homan pointed on the run from 30 metres. But a goal and point for the visitors within a minute levelled matters. Ciaran Dunne struck post late on with a strike that deceived keeper but it spun away from goal and the final whistle with night imminent.   


Round Tower: Darren Core, Simon Breslin, Neil Gill, Rory Dunne, Aidan Egan, Stephen Homan, Mick Kelly, Damien Murray, Ger Hickey, Gerry Homan, Barry Quinlan, Ray Davis, Chris Johnston, Ciaran Dunne, Anthony Davis. Used subs: Alan Milton, Fergal Power, Jason Mockler, Chris Reid