Spirited Towers ladies just edged out

By on July 26, 2016

A stirring second-half fight back by our Senior Ladies Footballers regrettably proved short in their New Ireland Assurance Junior A Championship encounter against St Maur’s last Wednesday evening. A large home crowd descended on the Community Centre, testament to the excellent progress made by the returning Senior Ladies Football this season.

But from the start it was evident the ladies were up against a very talented visiting side. St Maurs went three clear in the opening ten minutes before Siobhan Ennis registered our first score. Amy Conroy created by bringing the ball from our half back line into our forward line and teed up Ennis who kicked successfully from the right. However Maurs response was instant and they edged 0-6 v 0-1 clear before Ennis kicked an excellent point from long-range. It stirred a Towers revival. Emer Coleman, Suzanne Murray, Riona McTavish and Ennis worked the ball upfield from goalkeeper Caitriona McGrath’s kick-out and almost released Caoimhe Young on goal but the Maurs keeper was quick off her line. But from the clearance Conroy picked and kicked a long-range score from the wing. Sarah Jane Hecker and Andrea Bowe then combined and Hecker kicked a point from a tight angle to the right of goal. But Maurs showed real quality in kicking some outstanding scores, with their full forward and right corner forward to the fore. Their right corner forward broke beyond the Towers full-back line and with a low drive netted. They’d kicked 1-4 without reply before a quick ball by Emily Burke released the onrushing Conroy to kick a point. The Towers girls had it all to do at the break, with the half-time scoreline being 0-5 v 1-11.

Burke notched the first of the second half. It came from a good team move that started in the full-back line with Conroy and Ennis and Hecker also combining, with Burke finishing it off. Kayleigh Gannon almost followed with a point before McGrath palmed a low drive over and Burke cancelled it by kicking a point on the turn. But Maur’s quality was evident throughout. They kicked another two without reply. The ‘jolt’ Towers needed arrived 12 minutes into the half. From a Bowe sideline Conroy and Ennis combined to release Yazmin O’Neill and she struck low beyond the keeper. The deficit was ten but there was plenty to play. The home side were really stirred when Towers netted once again. O’Neill won around the middle and Hecker laid off to Conroy to attack a retreating defence. She slipped to Young who slotted home from a tight angle. Maurs quality remained. They tagged over another two. But spurred on by the crowd, the Towers girls had momentum. Another goal arrived. A free from range dropped around the square and Burke struck from close range. Towers pushed for another. Conroy went thru to the 21 but just lost control. They attacked but the final ball just did not reach its intended target and the Maurs full back line was excellent in reading the danger and intercepting. Towers enjoyed the territory but just could not get the required break-thru.

The 3-6 v 1-17 defeat culminated their Championship campaign but their league continues. They sit top of Division 3 with two games to go –  Templeogue Synge Street and O’Tooles. They face Templeogue this Wednesday, 27th July in the Community Centre, with throw-in 7.30pm. The ladies extend thanks to all who supported them.

Round Tower:  Caitriona McGrath, Aoife Grehan, Martina Flood, Muireann NiDhonngain, Sinead Kearns, Riona McTavish, Emer Coleman, Andrea Bowe, Suzanne Murray, Siobhan Ennis, Amy Conroy, Kayleigh Gannon, Emily Burke, Sarah Jane Hecker, Caoimhe Young. Subs: Yazmin O’Neill, Caroline Fallon, Pamela Tormey, Sophia Gelera